Chairperson of the Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) on Sligo County Council.
During that period our committee has assigned €5.2 million LEADER funding has been awarded throughout the county under a range of categories: –
- New enterprises
- Community and voluntary groups
- Education and Lifelong learning
- Rural Economic Development/Enterprise Development and Job Creation
- Social inclusion through building community capacity, training and animation
- Rural Environment
In addition, the LCDC managed the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP), Healthy Ireland fund, Community enhancement programme funding which assisted a wide range of community led projects throughout County Sligo including provision of defibrillators, Sports and IT equipment, Energy Efficiency Upgrading, Town Parks/City Gardens improvements.
Chairperson of PEACE IV – a cross-border Community and Economic Development Initiative which provided funding for a range of projects including:
- Stephen Street Shared Spaces (Cultural Plaza) – this €3m project will create a centrally located cantilever space in Stephen Street car park, thus creating an exciting out-door venue for events and recreation in the town centre
- Lest Sligo Forgets – to commemorate Sligo’s World War 1 dead
- Sligo Rovers Outdoor Museum – this will depict he Rovers 90-year history, highlighting the inclusive ethos of the Club and its connections with people of Sligo
- The Heritage Programme – an outreach programme comprising talks, lectures and workshops on cross-border issues
Member of the Maritime Board:
Through my membership of the Maritime Board, I helped to secure over €1.3 million in Fáilte Ireland and RRF funding for a new National Surf Centre of Excellence in Strandhill.
Member of the Board of the Hawk’s Well Theatre:
I helped to secure €500,000 in government funding to renovate the theatre in 2018 which will improve accessibility for all patrons.
Campaigner for a permanent Catheterisation Lab for Sligo University Hospital (SUH)
I, alongside senior medical staff in SUH have lobbied and continue to be a strong voice for the establishment of this important medical coronary laboratory in Sligo.
Traffic Management in Strandhill:
I have secured the following through my motions to Sligo County Council: –
- Traffic management in Strandhill:
- A traffic Calming report for the village, which will inform further traffic calming plans for the village
- Pedestrian controlled lights at the church, for the road to the school
- Speed bumps and slow down signage in estates
- Children at play signs
- Footpath on part of the Top Road
- Electronic speeding signs entering and leaving Strandhill and Ransboro
- Traffic calming at the Rugby Club/Queen Maebh Trail entrance
- Bollards at the sea front
- Bus parking at the main carpark in Strandhill
- Speed reduction signs
- Lights at seafront replaced
- Traffic island at the rugby cluc
- Delivered funding for Landscaping in the village
Working Groups and Committees:
I have worked on a range of other working groups and committees in her five years on Sligo County Council including:
- 1916 Commemoration Committee
- Disability Consultative Committee
- Arts Assessment Committee
- Sligo Gaol Steering Group
- Hawkswell Governance Sub Committee
I led on and participated in campaigns such as Marriage Equality, Repealing the 8th Amendment, coastal erosion, reducing dog fouling, making Sligo a Breastfeeding Friendly town, Sick of Plastic and 50/50 Women for Election.